SHROOM QUIZ: What Fungi is Right for YOU?
Dubbed the “Mushroom Boom” of 2022, now is the time to get to know the many fantastic fungi that healers all over the world have been foraging and using for better health since the origins of natural medicine. For thousands of years, our ancestors have concocted mushroom-based ancient remedies, and modern science has continued to follow suit.
Shrooms are a pretty big deal. Last year, the market research firm IMARC estimated the global mushroom market could reach more than $86 billion by 2027, up from nearly $59 billion in 2021 sales alone. The New York Times also recently reported on the “trendy trash monsters” who will outlive us all. That’s because these mysterious and magical plantlike veggies proliferate, in large part, thanks to their ability to thrive on waste.
But even before recorded history, medicinal mushrooms have been used in both traditional and folk medicines, as seen in Egyptian hieroglyphics and alpine glaciers. In a nutshell, the non-toxic plants known as adaptogenic mushrooms help the body adapt to multiple stressors by protecting our bodies (and minds) from the damaging effects of stress.
For those new to adaptogens and mushrooms as medicine, we’re thrilled to announce we now carry nine different types of mushrooms! Not sure where to start? Take our simple, five-step Shroom Quiz below to find out which are right for you, right now.
If you already know a little something about the magic of mushrooms, scroll down to read about each of our individual offerings, and stock up on your favorites for better health.
>> Step One:
Choose the category below that you most want to focus on. Note: you can always repeat the quiz for a different section, but let’s start with the area of your health that matters most to you at the present moment.
I want to improve and strengthen my:
>> Step Two:
Answer a few short questions in the category you chose:
- Rate your overall mental health from 1-10, with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being extremely good.
- How often do you experience feelings of depression on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being constantly/very frequently and 10 being almost never.
- Generally, how well do you feel you are able to concentrate on important tasks, with 1 being not well and 10 being excellent focus.
- Rate your mental clarity on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being extremely good.
- Do you now, or have you in the past, suffer from any of the following: anxiety, panic attacks, or other extreme cases of mental illness? 1 multiple instances/frequently and 10 being almost never or never.
- Rate your overall physical health from 1-10, with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being extremely good.
- How often do you experience feelings of fatigue on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being almost never and 1 being constantly/very frequently.
- Generally, how well do you feel you are able to sleep on a day-to-day basis, with 1 being not well and 10 being excellent focus.
- Rate your physical stamina on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being extremely good.
- Do you now, or have you in the past, suffer from any of the following: obesity, addiction, or other extreme cases of physical illness? 10 being almost never or never and 1 being multiple instances/frequently.
- Rate your overall emotional health from 1-10, with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being extremely good.
- How often do you experience feelings of intense or uncontrollable emotions on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being almost never and 1 being constantly/very frequently.
- Generally, how well do you feel you are able to manage your emotions in a public setting, with 1 being not well and 10 being very well/often.
- Rate your emotional intelligence on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being extremely poor and 10 being extremely good.
- Do you now, or have you in the past, suffer from any of the following: emotional outbursts, social isolation, or other extreme cases of emotional distress? 10 being almost never or never and 1 being multiple instances/frequently.
>> Step Three:
Special considerations based on age:
- Age 18-24: Add 5 points to final score
- Age 25-39: Subtract 5 points from final score
- Age 40-55: Subtract 10 points from final score
- Age 56-70: Subtract 15 points from final score
- Age 70 and above: Subtract 20 points from final score
Notes about age: Different stages of life require different nutrients. If you are under 18, we do not recommend taking supplements. Skipping this category should not have a significant impact on your Shroom Quiz results.
>> Step Four:
Total your score from above in one chosen category. Don’t forget to add or subtract additional “points” based on your age.
>> Step Five:
Scroll to your desired area of focus:
- Score of 0 - 15: Based on your answers, it seems you may need some support with brain fog and other brain-blocking stressors. Antioxidant rich Lion’s Mane improves memory, focus, and removes feelings of anxiety and irritability, which may be adding to your lack of concentration, cognition, memory, and other mental health challenges.
- Score of 16 - 30: Based on your answers, you could likely benefit from integrating Reishi, the “mushroom of immortality” into your daily mental wellness routine. Its calming properties, thanks to its triterpene compound, may aid with sleep, focus, and easing anxiety.
- Score of 31 - 42: Based on your answers, while your overall mental health is somewhat average, we can all use a mental boost from time to time! Consider giving our Adaptogenic Tonic a try, with seven different mushrooms to help regulate the body’s stress response, boost overall immunity, increase white blood cell production, balance hormones, and assist with fighting infections and inflammation.
- Score of 43 - 50: Based on your answers, your mental health is pretty strong—way to go! Consider adding a little Chaga in your diet to prevent cancer, modulate your immune system, boost cognitive function, relieve pain, and support mind and body protection overall.
- Score of 50+: Based on your answers, you’re feeling very mentally healthy. We’re thrilled to hear it! You might want to try our Adaptogenic Tonic, as it’s easy to integrate a few drops on an “off” day. You’ll benefit from superfood supplements found in the mix of mushrooms and high vitamin C sources like Camu Camu and Mangosteen, which empower and rewire the immune system.
- Score of 0 - 15: Based on your answers, you may need some support fighting fatigue and other physical weaknesses you might be struggling to combat. Try Cordyceps, which are proven to boost stamina and can help strengthen the body after experiencing exhaustion or long-term illness. For overall vitality, look to this mushroom for oxygen-boosting properties, which are known to increase athletic and sexual performance and may alleviate asthma, bronchitis, and other ailments.
- Score of 16 - 30: Based on your answers, you could likely benefit from integrating Agaricus into your daily wellness routine. This nutrient dense mushroom has 10 different minerals, 16 different vitamins, and 18 different amino acids! If your physical health is poor to average at the moment, Agaricus can assist with modulating your immune system, support your heart and liver, and ease digestive health.
- Score of 31 - 42: Based on your answers, your overall physical health is somewhat average. But, Tremella, a.k.a. “The Fountain of Youth”, can give you a boost in several different areas, especially in the physical beauty department. Because it contains high amounts of polysaccharides—skin-hydrating antioxidants—it is known to boost hyaluronic acid, giving way to improved skin texture and great moisture, promoting an inner glow you’ll want to show off outwardly.
- Score of 43 - 50: Based on your answers, you’re feeling pretty great physically—hooray! Turkey Tail may just be that bonus boost you didn’t know you needed. Here’s why: this mushroom helps nourish the beneficial bacteria in the gut, assists with the restoration of a balance of good flora in the gastrointestinal tract, and supports improved digestion, as well as a healthy immune response. A great ally for disease prevention and strong immunity overall, this is the one for you.
- Score of 50+: Based on your answers, your physical health is top notch, way to go! Chaga could be your secret weapon to maintaining the great homeostasis in the body you’re feeling, while increasing your physical endurance, reducing tumor or cancer growth, boosting your cognitive function (hello, mind-body balance!), and diminishing oxidative stress.
- Score of 0 - 15: Based on your answers, it seems you may need some support bringing your emotions into a more balanced state. Lion’s Mane is an excellent mushroom ally to have on hand because not only can it help with keeping depression and anxiety at bay, it’s also a nootropic, a.k.a. “smart drug”, that protects your brain neurons!
- Score of 16 - 30: Based on your answers, might you be feeling a little gray, edging on blue? Shiitake, a general qi-enhancing elixir used in Chinese medicine to boost overall vitality, is here to help. This mushroom can also help nourish your liver, support your skin and respiratory system, and may lower your cholesterol, all common health challenges tied to emotional suffering, of which you may be experiencing one or more without realizing the connection.
- Score of 31 - 42: Based on your answers, while your overall emotional health is somewhat average, you could likely benefit from integrating Chaga into the emotional safety net of your daily routines. Here’s why: for centuries, throughout Siberia and other parts of Asia, Chaga has been used medicinally to boost immunity and improve overall health.
- Score of 43 - 50: Based on your answers, your emotions are right where you want them to be. That brings a smile to our faces! You might want to try our Adaptogenic Tonic, as it’s easy to integrate a few drops on an “off” day. You’ll benefit from superfood supplements found in the mix of mushrooms and high vitamin C sources like Camu Camu and Mangosteen, which empower and rewire the immune system.
- Score of 50+: Based on your answers, Golden Sun Milk is a great starting point for some daily or occasional emotional maintenance. Here’s why: this ancient medicinal drink rooted in Ayurvedic wellness rituals supports both the body and the mind. What’s more, it’s safe for children and most people, is energizing, rich in flavor and contains Mucuna, a revered nootropic often called “dopamine bean” thanks to its ability to enhance dopamine receptors. Consider paying it forward: mix up two cups (+ optional organic coconut creamer) to share your own happiness with a loved one who might need uplifting.
DISCLAIMER: This content is not intended to encourage self-diagnosis, and is purely informational in nature. We are not suggesting any of these herbs be used in place of medicine or as medicinal alternatives. We do suggest you work with your chosen herbalist, healer and/or physician about how to best integrate these and other herbal remedies into your mental health-boosting routine. Please use plant medicines carefully and intentionally. Discuss any questions directly with a healthcare practitioner.
What’s 100 percent organically grown, cell wall extracted with zero fillers or processors, steam extracted, tested for 10 percent beta glucans, blended with both fruiting body and mycelium, and sourced from Washington State?
These nine mushrooms, with two new exciting arrivals, that’s who!
Now that you have answers to your Shroom Quiz, read below about the key benefits of our many mighty mushrooms to see how to amplify your wellness routine.
Chinese and Japanese herbalists have used tremella as a strong yin tonic for at least 2,000 years, believing it offers support for the lungs, brain, stomach, heart, and immune system. Also known as the “snow fungus” and the “beauty mushroom”, tremella’s antioxidant properties keep the skin hydrated, promote nerve growth, support the brain, and aid with respiratory health.
- boosts hyaluronic acid and skin hydration
- may help combat cholesterol
- may help combat obesity
- supports the respiratory system and helps protect against lung cancer
Widely available and growing on all continents except Antarctica, Trametes versicolor features a broad array of naturally occurring compounds that help improve stamina and support gut health. This, in turn, correlates with a healthy immune system. Turkey Tail is an adaptogenic mushroom that helps manage inflammation by stimulating the release of immune-supportive compounds. A great ally for disease prevention, it also helps improve digestion.
- may help regulate the microbiome and promote gut health
- may help balance and boost the immune system
- holistic breast cancer treatment and immunotherapy
Did you know that 85 percent of the world’s mushroom production comes from China? But, not our beloved mushrooms! Grown in a small farm, 100 percent organically and sustainably, in Washington State for optimal bioavailability, our mushroom powders are cell wall extracted. As a result, they contain both fruiting bodies and mycelium. To impede the depletion of wild mushrooms, we source local and organic products for sustainability, quality, and vibrancy. Keep reading…
Modern medicine is finally acknowledging the centuries-old folk remedy wisdom of using lion’s mane for mental health. Excellent for treating depression without the harsh side effects of prescription pharmaceuticals, other health benefits of this fuzzy fungi include antioxidative and anti-inflammatory properties, plus the potential to fight Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases. Keep reading…
The scientific community has affirmed some of the many benefits of chaga: ability to reduce tumor growth, prevention of the proliferation of cancer, modulation of the immune system, fighting the damaging effects of oxidative stress, and boosting cognitive function, among others. Keep reading…
Ganoderma lucidum is an edible medicinal fungus that has been used as a healing tool for thousands of years. Also known as Ling Zhi in Chinese, this superfood is strongly anti-inflammatory and tied to longevity, better immune function, and mental clarity. Its nicknames “king of mushrooms” and “mushroom of immortality” encompass both “spiritual potency” and “essence of immortality” (source: Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects). Keep reading…
Images of Agaricus blazei can be seen on frescoes and clay fragments from the Aztec times. Agaricus was also a primary, nutrient dense staple to indigenous peoples in the Amazon. Studies of its compounds confirm it is a powerful immune booster with liver and heart protective properties. Keep reading…
One of the most widely cultivated mushrooms in the world, second only to the button mushroom, shiitake is arguably the most easily accessible of all medicinal mushrooms. Its medicinal use dates back to AD 100 in China, where it was used to treat upper respiratory diseases, boost circulation, increase energy, decrease fatigue, and as a general qi-enhancing elixir. Keep reading…
Well known for a high concentration of beta-d-glucans, maitake’s polysaccharides can help control blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol, improve blood pressure, and help with weight management. Keep reading…
LABOR DAY SALE IS HERE!
$60+ gets 20% OFF
+ Free US Shipping
$110+ gets 20% OFF
+ Free US Shipping
1 Whole Blue Lotus Flowers ($11 value)
$200+ gets 20% off
1 Whole Blue Lotus Flowers ($11 value)
1 Viridem 2oz ($25 retail value)
$350+ gets 25% off (!!)
+Free US Shipping
1 Blue Lotus Flowers ($22 retail value)
1 Mucuna ($32 retail value)