10 TIPS TO STAY Healthy and Stress-Free During the Holidays + Soothing Elixir Recipe
The challenge of keeping your healthy goals on track during the holidays — we all have our struggles with staying committed to the cause while having some indulgent fun. All it takes is a little smart planning to come prepared with your supplements, vitamins and an open heart. Take notes, and share with your family so you can ride into 2020 feeling healthy, happy and nourished.
1. Don’t Suppress Your Desires. Enjoy the Process!A key way to feeling good for longer periods without craving too much of the refined stuff is protein. Protein and fat help to balance blood sugar and make us feel satiated. This strategy helps you not feel ravenous and resist grabbing the first tray of appetizers without thinking. A quick tip is arriving feeling mildly nourished by drinking a protein rich smoothie, with the support of adaptogenic herbs that have high protein, on top of calming properties, like Maca and Ashwagandha. Arriving with balanced blood sugar allows you to feel calm, avoiding the holiday party pitfalls or calorie-laden desserts and appetizers.
2. Get a Feel for the VibeThe best way to survive a holiday party is to know what you are walking into. Investigate: Do you think there will be a full meal or tray-passed appetizers only? Will there be beer and wine or a full bar? Is it a potluck? If so, you’re in luck! Bring what you love to prevent getting hungry and having a cup or two too many of wine.
3. Appropriate AppetizersAppetizers can quickly add up to a full meal and a little too many fried options can be a bomb for your stomach. If you know you are going to enjoy the main course, politely decline the small morsels. However, if you are in need of a little sustenance reach for protein-based appetizers, or the veggie platters. Try avoiding fried and bread options as they tend to spike blood sugar and contribute to insulin resistance, inflammation and weight gain. If the appetizers are set up on a table grab a small plate and fill it once. If you have come prepared and calm, grab your wine and float to the opposite side of the room. Remember: You are there to enjoy your friends and celebrate!
4. Earn Your AlcoholMake a pact with yourself that you will workout the day(s) before the event and the day after. A little hangover can throw you off your game and get you out of your healthy routine. Working out boosts your cardiovascular system and gives you a good boost of feel-good hormones. It is all about staying active and making room in your muscles to suck up the extra holiday glucose.
5. Limit Libations
The easiest way to hydrate and take a deep breath is to make your first drink alcohol free. Grab a soda water with lemon and add 1Tbsp of Happiness to get the vibes going. This technique allows you to work through the first few party jitters without sucking down a cocktail too quickly. It is also nice to survey the party and recommit to your game plan. You might even decide that you don’t want to waste a boozy night at this party. Hydrate properly first and then take it from there.
6. For Dessert, Choose ChocolateCacao is a powerful source for antioxidants, and many more compounds known to provide us a plethora of feel-good hormones. One of the most active components is Tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid that when ingested gets turned into the neurotransmitter serotonin and then converted into the hormone melatonin. Raw cacao boosts the body’s natural production of serotonin, increasing our mood and ability to fend off stress. Both magnesium and tryptophan, are necessary chemicals for the production of serotonin.
7. Don't ApologizeMany times we eat out of anxiety, habit or polite response. We end up swallowing foods that don’t agree with us, give us food guilt or worse, we eat foods we don’t even like! Politely decline what doesn’t agree with you in that moment. This takes practice but it always helps to be the first to respond. Avoid making excuses for why you aren’t eating, drinking, etc. just do what you want with no explanations.
8.Wake Up and HydrateWake up and drink 16oz of water to help flush out your system and lower blood-glucose levels. It’s especially important if you have been drinking alcohol, or eating more than your norm. When you’re dehydrated the volume of blood decreases and the blood glucose remains the same, meaning you have more concentrated blood sugar. Drinking water, like the classic 10 glasses a day, can increase blood volume and decrease glucose concentration.
10. Drink your Medicines Before and After the Party
Drink your herbs before and after the party. Who would have known that Siberian Ginseng and Schizandra is a miracle hangover cure? Be sure to take a bag of your favorite nutritious medicinal greens to intake a large amount of detoxifying foods.
Honey Golden Milk
to soothe, calm, and nourish
1 Heaping tsp Heirloom Turmeric
1 Tbsp Coconut Cream Powder
1 Tbsp Adaptogenic Honey
1 Cup warmed plant-based milk of choice (we love cashew!)
1. Blend Turmeric and Coconut Cream Powder with a bit of hot water using a blender or hand held blender
2. Add warmed plant-based milk of choice
3. Sweeten to taste with Adaptogenic Honey
4. Top with fresh cracked black pepper