These are magical, white chocolate mendiants, made with the vibrant, medicinal powders & flowers from our apothecary: Rose, Matcha, Butterfly Pea Flower, Blue Lotus, and Golden Sun Milk. A perfect celebratory treat for the holidays and they’re so fun and easy to make.
These paintbox chocolates are based on mendiants, which originated in Provence, France and were part of 13 desserts traditionally made for the holidays. Mendiants were made as an offering of simple chocolate discs or coins that have nuts and fruits nestled in the center. Experiment with different toppings or make colorful stripes with the melted chocolate.
Recipe for Paintbox Mendiants:
- 1 Cup White Chocolate Discs/Chips (dairy-free or regular)
- 1-2 Teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon each of Butterfly Pea Powder, Rose Powder, Matcha, Golden Sun Milk
- Toppings: Blue Lotus Flower, Dried Edible Flowers or Herbs, Almond Slivers, Sesame Seeds, Dried Fruits
- These can be made simply on the stovetop or in a microwave. For the stovetop, make a Bain-marie, filling a small pot halfway or less with water and then placing 3/4 of the chocolate in a medium heat-safe bowl, warming until gently melted. Remove from the stove and stir in the rest of the chocolate and the coconut oil until smooth. For the microwave, heat the chocolate very slowly at 5 seconds intervals, being careful to stir and not scorch the chocolate. White chocolate burns easily! Once it is just liquid, add the remaining 1/4 of chocolate and the coconut oil.
- Have 4 small bowls ready and divide the chocolate evenly as possible. Mix the 4 different powders, one into each bowl. Carefully reheat the chocolate, if needed as the powders may cool it down.
- Spoon about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of each color onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, forming small circles.
- Working in batches, add the toppings before the chocolate cools.
- Wait to remove the chocolates from the parchment paper until cool and enjoy!