These Almond-Pistachio Cookies with Golden Milk Cashew Cream by Alison Wu are supremely satisfying and surprisingly easy to make. The cashew cream is made using Golden Moon Milk powder (You can also use the Golden Sun Milk powder for an energizing twist!).
The Moon Milk powder contains relaxing plants, such as ashwagandha, along with restorative ‘spirit’ plants such as reishi and blue lotus. It also contains essential digestive herbs that assist relaxation such as lavender, cardamom and vanilla. It’s purposefully unsweetened, as we want to just offer straight botanical medicines that you can tweak as desired! Some love it unsweetened, while others don’t, so we leave that up to you :)
The Sun Milk powder contains activating plants, such as adaptogenic powerhouses maca and cordyceps, which are both adaptogens known to energize the body. This blend also contains mucuna, a revered nootropic also called “the dopamine bean” due to its ability to enhance our dopamine receptors, along with delicious, organic chai spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper and vanilla.
Either powder blends perfectly into this cashew cream or into your favorite nut milk for a relaxing nighttime or energizing morning beverage.
Alright, let's get to this glorious recipe!
ALMOND-PISTACHIO COOKIES WITH GOLDEN MILK CASHEW CREAM
By Allison Wu
[Makes about 14 cookies]
4 cups almond meal
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon organic vanilla powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 flax eggs (2 Tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 5 Tablespoons water, let sit for 5-10 minutes), or you can use real eggs
1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water in the refrigerator overnight or can be soaked in just boiled water with a lid until soft (about 30-60 minutes)
1/4 cup nut milk
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 Tablespoons Golden Moon Milk Powder (or Sun Milk powder)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine all ingredients except pistachios in a food processor and process until well-combined or mix by hand. Dough should stick together and feel slightly greasy.
- Roll dough into14 1.5-inch balls. Roll in the chopped pistachios, and place on 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Using your thumb, make an indentation about 3/4 of the way down into the center of each cookie. You might need to reform the edges of the cookies if any cracks form.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes. Be careful not to over bake, as the cookies will be too dry if left in the oven too long.
- While cookies are baking, make cashew cream filling by combining all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until very smooth (2-3 minutes)
- When the cookies are done baking, carefully transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack. Let sit for about 15-20 minutes or until completely cool. Using a spoon, dollop some of the cashew cream into the thumbprint of each cookie. Top with chopped pistachios and flower petals, if using. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.