Ashwagandha can positively impact almost every system in the body which is why the enlightened Rishis —ancient Hindu holy men—considered it one of the finest herbal medicines known to man.
Revered for over 4,000 years in the Ayurvedic medical tradition in India, Ashwagandha is one of the world’s most powerful adaptogenic herbs, which means that it restores balance to the body and mind no matter what end of the spectrum you find yourself on.
If you are anxious, Ashwagandha will calm you, If you are constantly fatigued, Ashwagandha will boost your energy and stamina. It’s almost as if the herb has a deep intelligence that somehow knows exactly what your body needs for balance and gives you just that. For this reason and more, it is considered to be a rasayana in the Ayurvedic tradition, which loosely translates to “rejuvenative herb for the mind and body”. In fact, scientific studies have clearly demonstrated that it extends lifespan in mice (which typically suggests similar effects in most mammals) and reduces center types of cancer cell growth in humans. [R, R, R, R].
Researchers in India recently conducted cell studies showing that one benefit of Ashwagandha is that its extract disrupts cancer cells’ ability to reproduce in certain types of cancers, and laboratory analysis indicates that Withania somnifera extract possesses some level of anti-tumor activity and may mitigate many of the negative effects of chemotherapy. It also quite powerfully stimulates the immune system, increases disease-fighting white blood cell production and activity, and elevates levels of superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase, two of the most powerful antioxidants and health-promoting substances known to man, which likely have quite a bit to do with its longevity enhancing properties.
But where Ashwagandha’s benefits really shine is in its effects on the brain, nervous and endocrine systems, and its ability to bring the mind, body and spirit into balance and harmony.
Evidence Backed by Science
- Can effectively combat stress, anxiety & depression. [R, R]
- May enhance brain function + protect the nervous system.[R, R]
- May be anti-cancerous + chemoprotective. [R]
- May help increase muscle growth + prevent fat based weight gain. [R]
- Has promising anti-diabetic effects. [R, R, R, R, R].
- May be cardioprotective, can promote heart health. [R]
- May help with OCD issues + ADHD. [R][R]
- Has anti-aging properties on cells. [R, R, R, R]
- Can reduce pain.[R, R]
For a deeper review on its scientific studies and uses, keep reading here.
Enjoy all the goodness of Ashwagandha in this delicious latte!
Roasted Hazelnut Mocha Latte Boosted
(Makes 2 servings)
- ½ cup roasted hazelnut (roast at 350F for 8-10min)
- 1 ½ cup plant milk
- ½ cup coffee
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 tsp ashwaghanda powder
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Remove the pit from the dates.
- Add the dates in to a high speed blender together with all of the ingredients.
- Blend on high speed until creamy.
- If you have a friction heat function on your blender you can blend it until it's warm. Otherwise, pour it in to a saucepan and carefully warm it up.
- Enjoy!! (It can be enjoyed both warm and cold).