Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 9 minutes
Chill: 240 minutes
Rose Ice Cream:
● 1 pint vegan heavy cream or coconut cream
● ½ cup maple syrup
● 1 tbsp vanilla extract
● 1 tbsp Anima Mundi Herbals Rose Powder
Gluten Free Vegan Vanilla Shortbread Cookies:
● ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
● ½ cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
● ¼ cup dairy free yogurt
● 1 cup gluten free 1:1 baking flour blend
● 1/2 tsp baking powder
● 1 tsp vanilla extract
● ⅛ tsp sea salt
1. Make the ice cream first. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the heavy cream until fluffy like whipped cream. Then add in the maple syrup, rose powder, and vanilla extract, and mix again until combined. Pour the ice cream into a large casserole dish or freezable baking dish, and freeze for 3- 4 hours.
2. While the ice cream is freezing, make the cookies. In a bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple sugar, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla extract. Then add in the flour, baking powder, and sea salt, and use a silicone spatula to fold the flour gently into the wet mixture until you get a sticky and consistent dough. Cover and chill the dough for 10-15 minutes in the fridge.Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Once chilled, lightly flour a piece of parchment paper (this will be the piece you bake the cookies on). Place the dough onto the floured surface, and place another piece of parchment paper on top to prevent sticking to the rolling pin. Roll the dough out to be about ¼” thick. Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
4. Use a round cookie cutter and cut several cookies out. Remove the scraps (saving to be re-rolled next), and place the parchment paper with the cookies onto a baking sheet.
Repeat the steps for rolling out the cookies for the remaining scraps of cookie
dough, placing the remaining cookies onto another baking sheet. Try to get an even amount of cookies for the ice cream sandwiches. Chill the cookies for 10 minutes in the freezer before baking. Once frozen, if you need to space your cookies out a bit more(ideally at least 1 inch apart), you can easily pick up the frozen cookies now.
5. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. They will still be soft when they come out of the oven, but let them cool completely on the baking sheet to harden. Then you can freeze them to keep them cold for when you scoop the ice cream.
6. When the ice cream is hardened, you can use an ice cream scoop and scoop the ice cream onto one cookie, then press another cookie on top. Repeat for the remaining cookies.
7. Serve immediately or freeze for later. Enjoy!