MUSHROOM MISO Immortality Soup to Boost Immunity
Recipe from "Adaptogens Herbs for Longevity"
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-bell pepper
- 4–6 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups water or homemade veggie stock
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- A handful of fresh medicinal mushrooms, like maitake, shiitake, lion’s mane, or agaricus*
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons American or Korean ginseng powder*
- 1tsp Chickpea Miso (or miso of choice)
- 1 Tbsp of our Adaptogenic Mushroom Powder
- 2 jujube dates (or substitute with a thumb’s worth of licorice)
*Note: American and Korean ginseng are in extinction, so only use them if you are in serious need of rejuvenation, like recuperating from trauma or an illness. Be sure to source from a sustainable and trustworthy farm, and do not support wildcrafting as that is depleting wild resources. If you find it difficult to find a good source, replace with Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero) or Brazilian Ginseng Aka suma.
*If you don't have access to these mushrooms, you can do a blend yourself of one or two mushrooms of choice, such as 1-2tsp Reishi, 1-2tsp Cordyceps, 1-2tsp Chaga, or 1-2tsp Lion's Mane.
- In a large pot, sauté the onions, bell pepper, and garlic in oil. Right before they caramelize, add the water or stock.
- Add the sweet potato, carrots, mushrooms, ginger, ginseng, and dates (optional) in water. I usually use a proportion of 1:3, and allow 1/2 of water to evaporate to have a rich stock. Let it simmer for an hour or two. For variety, you can add other vegetables here (like shallots, squash, corn, fennel, etc) and your choice of protein or seaweed.
- If you're using our adaptogenic mushroom powders, add in half way of the simmering process. Our mushrooms are already extracted, so there's no need to over-do it, but it won't loose the potency.
- After a 1.5-2 hours, turn the heat off and add the miso once the heat is off. and stir it in until dissolved.
- Add your fresh culinary herbs of choice, such as cilantro, sage, basil, or other. Place the top back on for it to infuse a couple minutes with the heat off. Serve on a bowl and add in your favorite greens, such as kale, sprouts, and/or arugula.
- Enjoy immediately!
Adaptogenic mushrooms, and many other herbs such as Cats Claw, Pau D'arco, Sangre de Drago, and even our good old friend garlic, have been used since ancient times to prevent viral infection, and as natural anti-inflammatories. Studies have shown how many of these anciently revered medicines have a powerful ability to protect the immune system and help prevent viral proliferation. (read more about each herb here)
Thank you for your love and support to our small business, and stay safe out there! Please do feel free to email us or ask us if you have any herbal needs regarding protection.