These homemade vegan Twix bars taste JUST LIKE the real deal! But even better, with absolutely zero weird ingredients. Made with a layer of vanilla shortbread, gooey caramel sauce and all coated in chocolate, these homemade Twix are undetectably dairy free, gluten free, and easily nut free. Not only is it a million times healthier, it's actually fun and easy!
These homemade Twix bars are made with the simplest ingredients, nothing hard to find, and are the perfect treat for kids, adults, and anyone wanting an exquisite snack.
In case you’re curious…
These are the ingredients in a regular Twix bar:
“MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, PGPR, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS), ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, PALM OIL, CORN SYRUP, SKIM MILK, DEXTROSE, LESS THAN 2% – SALT, COCOA POWDER, SOY LECITHIN, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, BAKING SODA, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR.”
What are the components of a Twix bar?
Some people confuse Twix bars with Snickers, but they’re actually quite different! One contains peanuts, and one does not. There are three components to a Twix bar:
Vanilla Shortbread: This provides the “crunch” in a Twix bar. To replicate this taste, Britt here is using oat flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup. That’s truly it! No need for cornstarch nor arrowroot.
Caramel: For the vegan caramel sauce, Britt is using a cashew caramel. This does contain nuts, however you can easily make it nut-free (more on that below). The ingredients for this are just cashews, vegan butter, and maple syrup.
Chocolate: Traditionally, Twix bars use milk chocolate. However, you can get a similar taste with vegan chocolate and a bit of melted vegan butter or coconut oil. Yes to dark chocolate!!
Recipe by Britt Berlin from Banana Diaries!
Makes: 16 large Twix bars or 32 mini Twix bars
Prep: 20 minutes, plus chilling
Bake: 20 minutes
- 350 grams oat flour, store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 tsp Anima Mundi Herbals Vanilla Powder
- 115 grams coconut oil or vegan butter, room temperature
- 50 grams maple syrup
- 250 grams creamy and smooth cashew butter
- 200 grams coconut oil or vegan butter, melted and cooled
- 100 grams maple syrup
- 340 grams vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp Anima Mundi Herbals Happiness Powder
- 50 grams coconut oil or vegan butter
- Read through all instructions before beginning.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F, and grease and line an 8×8 baking pan with cooking oil and parchment paper. Measure out all ingredients before beginning.
- Make the Twix bar shortbread: In a large bowl, whisk together the oat flour and vanilla powder. Use a fork or pastry cutter and cut the coconut oil into the oat flour until your mixture resembles a grainy sand texture. Add in the maple syrup, and mix until you achieve a sticky and consistent dough. Press the dough into the baking pan, smoothing it over with either a flat bottom from a cup or a rubber spatula. Poke several holes into the dough to allow for the dough to not bubble up while baking. Place the baking pan into the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden and set. Remove from the oven and allow the shortbread to cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then place the pan into the fridge to chill while you make the caramel.
- Make the cashew caramel sauce: while the Twix shortbread is cooling, make the caramel sauce. In a food processor, blend the cashew butter, melted coconut oil/vegan butter, and maple syrup until smooth. If either the caramel sauce is warm or the Twix shortbread is warm, wait to pour the caramel over the shortbread.
- Pour the caramel onto the Twix shortbread: once the Twix shortbread is cool, you can pour the caramel sauce right onto the shortbread, which should still be in the baking pan. Place the baking pan into the fridge to chill for 1-2 hours, or until the caramel has set.
- Slice the caramel bars: once the caramel has been completely set, you can remove the Twix shortbread from the baking pan using parchment paper. Slice the bars into 24 long bars, or 32 shorter bars, then place them onto a cooling rack lined with parchment paper and into the freezer. While the Twix bars are freezing, you’ll melt the chocolate. This makes sure that the caramel doesn’t melt when dipped into the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate: In a microwave-safe bowl or over a double boiler, melt the chocolate until smooth. Stir in the vegan butter or coconut oil and the Happiness powder, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s closer to room temperature. Make sure the chocolate is in a large enough bowl to fit the size of a Twix bar to be dipped and coated in the chocolate.
- Dip the Twix bars in the chocolate: Remove the Twix bars from the freezer. Place a baking sheet or parchment paper down underneath the cooling rack. Use a fork to dip one Twix bar into the chocolate, coating it evenly. Transfer the bar back to the cooling rack lined with parchment paper and repeat for all bars.
- Chill the Twix bars: Place the cooling rack into the fridge to set the chocolate for 10-20 minutes.
- Enjoy! Serve the Twix bars at room temperature and enjoy! When not eating, store the Twix bars in an airtight container and in the fridge or freezer. They’ll last for up to 5 days in the fridge and up to 3 months in the freezer.