Oh my, can you believe that Christmas/ Hannukah / Holiday craziness is around the corner?! I wanted to share a special cake this year that had the notes of nostalgia woven with the magical powers of herbs. Silvia Bifaro is a master cake maker (and beyond) and made this rich, moist and blissful perfection, using our vegan Superfruit Collagen Booster. And believe it or not, it tastes even better than it looks!
And guess what, you CAN have your cake, AND eat it too. I'm all about elevating everyday meals with the power of plant medicines, not just for the nutritional upgrade, but for its additional energetic charge. I mean, why wouldn't you sneak in mood boosters into your every-day meals? Or add in some stress-relieving adaptogens into your chocolate cake?
You can go wild -- try infusing Blue lotus in your wine for an added mood boosting effect or even elevate your vegan gravy using our 7 mushroom blend, or just Reishi alone to add the de-stressing elements to the hectic holiday craze.
Sky. is. the. limit. Honestly, most of the time you use plant medicines in food, you hardly taste it and you reap their magical effects. All I can say is that it's so easy to alchemize herbs into classic meals, and it'll certainly add a nutritional punch to anything you create.
Last Christmas, I was pouring our Euphoria Elixir into everyone's gin-tonics. With a homemade Mucuna simple syrup (so easy!!) All I can say is that the dinner party turned out to be an absolute hit. There was so much love in the room, I think some babies were made that night ;)
Recipe by Silvia Bifaro
Bundt form Ø 20 cm
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Baking time: 65 minutes
230ml oat milk
100 ml extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp ground flax seeds + 9 Tbsp cold water ("Flax egg")
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
grated zest of 2 un-waxed lemons
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp Collagen Booster, Supfruit Bliss flavor (*Or, you can use the original Collagen Booster powder)
200g (1 cup) coconut sugar
350g (1.5 cups) plain unbleached wheat flour (*or sub for fave gluten free flour mix)
1/4 tsp salt
handful walnuts roughly chopped
For the lemon glaze (optional)
1 cup good quality icing sugar
2-3tbs lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (325F circa).
2. Prepare your bundt tin (I used a silicone mold) by greasing it (I used olive oil) and covering the oil with a dusting of flour. Make sure to spread the oil well, you do not want the cake sticking to the tin! In fact, this cake can be delicate so be mindful when you take it out of the mold.
3. Prepare the flaxseed mixture by combining the ground flax seeds with the water in a medium bowl. Mix briefly. Next add the grated lemon zest, milk, vanilla extract, and olive oil. Set aside.
4. In a separate, large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients - the sugar, flour, baking powder (if using) and salt. Mix well.
5. Next, combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and gently fold with a wooden spoon until the mixture is nicely combined. Add the nuts and combine them again.
6. Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt cake mold and place it in the oven.
7. Bake for 65 minutes or until golden brown. Do the stick test to ensure it is cooked throughout the center.
8. While the cake bake prepares the drizzle combining the ingredients and set aside.
9. When the cake is done, allow it to cook for about 5-10 minutes before carefully removing it from the mold.
10. Allow it to cool for a further 15-20 minutes before pouring over the drizzle.
11. Whilst the cake is completely cooling, prepare the glaze by combining the sugar and the juice and set aside. ( if you prepare the glaze too much in advance can harden too much to whisk it again to a perfect consistency).
COLLAGEN BOOSTER "SUPERFRUIT BLISS"
Our unique Superfruit Collagen Booster has superfruits that we adore, like Camu Camu, Shisandra, Gogi berries, Mangosteen Peel, Rose along with our proprietary collagen booster herb formula containing He Shou Wu, Horsetail, Gynostemma, Nettles and Calendula. We love incorporating herbs into magical desserts, healthy foods and anything in between. The Superfruit formula is an easy one to integrate that's great for baking, or using raw.