Recipe By Alison Wu
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies and is the main component of our connective tissues. It is found in our muscles, bones, digestive system, and more, serving different functions and generally holding our bodies together (collagen comes from the Greek word “kólla,” which means glue.) Collagen not only supports age-defying qualities like improving skin health and nail strength, but it can also help prevent joint pain and bone loss, promote heart health, and provide several other potential benefits.
There are four main types of collagen that play different roles, all of which our bodies tend to produce less of, and of lower quality, as we age. Luckily, there are several ways to help our bodies produce and intake the collagen it needs to keep it healthy. You can eat foods that are filled with the nutrients that help your body produce collagen, such as vitamin C (citrus fruits, bell peppers, broccoli); proline (egg whites, dairy products, cabbage) and copper (shellfish, nuts, cocoa powder). You can also eat collagen-rich foods like spinach, kale, fish and bone broth.
Many collagen supplements are animal-derived, but there are tons of plants that help boost collagen production. Unlike animal-derived collagen, plant-based collagen boosters are animal-friendly and aren’t at high risk of containing contaminants like steroids or pesticides. Anima Mundi’s Collagen Booster and Superfruit Bliss Collagen Booster are both vegan and gluten-free supplements that are derived from herbs that help restore and maintain collagen levels. Here is more information provided by Adriana Ayales, founder and owner of Anima Mundi:
• Calendula: Long used for its abilities to restore skin, assist in wound healing and activate collagen receptors. Modern research has proven many of its healing abilities, along with noting its ability to protect the skin from cellular and oxidative damage.
• Gynostemma: Known as the immortality herb, gynostemma is commonly used for its energizing effects, digestive help, cardiovascular health and hormone balancing qualities. It is a natural antioxidant and a rich source of healthy vitamins and minerals.
• He Shou Wu: Revered as a spiritual herb and beneficial in the treatment of cancer, diabetes, hair loss, hardening of the arteries, and neurodegenerative diseases. It can help maintain hair color, boost energy, rejuvenate the nerves and brain cells, tone the kidneys and liver, fortify the bones and purify the blood.
• Horsetail: A rich source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and other valuable nutrients like silica, which is an essential trace mineral that plays an important role in the development, strengthening, and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
• Mangosteen: Touted for being not only one of the highest natural sources of vitamin C, which plays a vital role in collagen production, but for also being rich in antioxidants. Mangosteen also contains a high amount of polyphenols known as xanthones, which are renowned for their myriad of abilities, including their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacteria and anti-viral properties.
• Nettles: Contains a high amount of calcium, silica and sulfur, making it an excellent source to help boost collagen receptors. It is often used in beauty products like shampoo and soap, for its restorative and reparative properties.
I am wayyyyy overdue for a smoothie bowl recipe! Even though it’s been a few years since I shared one with you, I still start my day with a smoothie or a smoothie bowl several times a week. They’re such a great way to pack in nutrients using whatever fresh or frozen fruits and veggies I have on hand. I also like to add at least one or two adaptogens to help balance my body and get the most out of my morning meal.
The star ingredient of my new Superfruit Bliss Smoothie Bowl, besides all the amazing tropical fruits that grow here in Mexico, is Anima Mundi’s Superfruit Bliss Collagen Booster. This plant-based collagen booster is flavored with superfruits, or fruits that are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, like shisandra berry, dragon fruit and cranberry.
I love the added fruity flavor of the Superfruit Bliss powder, which can also be used to create simple tonics using hot water or your favorite nut mylk. For this smoothie bowl, I topped with my simple grain-free granola and frozen raspberries, but you can garnish with whatever you’d like to add a little crunch and personality to your bowl. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Can you tell collagen boosters is our JAM?
Yup, we're pretty smitten.
Collagen is all the rage these days, but if you're looking for a plant-based vegan way to get the same (if not better) results, go with this Collagen Booster. Strengthen your skin, hair, and nails from within and boost your body's natural collagen production. Our formula contains wildcrafted and organic herbs, roots, flowers and peels revered for their beauty boosting qualities. Many of these plants have been extensively studied by the scientific community, showing promising results not only within their beautifying abilities, but also within other systems, such as being nutrient dense digestive aids, hepatoprotective, antioxidant rich, bone strengthening, and more.